[dropcap]I[/dropcap]n ancient times, the Aztecs in Mexico treasured cacao for medicinal purposes. Not without a reason: cacao has many beautifying and health benefits!
Cacao alleviates stress, treats depression (that’s why some people get an euphoric sensation out of eating chocolate), lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol and speeds up metabolism. It is even claimed that it will reduce your risk of cancer (including prostate cancer, tell that to your man!), due to its antioxidants. Other health benefits of cacao are – that’s if you use raw cacao – are stabilizing blood sugar levels, promoting colon and stomach health, prevention of premature (skin) ageing , improving the immune function, lowering blood pressure and detoxification. Besides, raw chocolate is really good for your sexlife. Raw means that food hasn’t been cooked or heat treated – which destroys all its precious enzymes and nutrients – so the food is still full of its great nutrients.
Navitas Naturals is a good brand to get your organic raw cacao nibs from. The cacao is sold as whole beans, powder or crunched into nibs. They lack dairy, sugar and preservatives. Now, how to use the raw cacao? There are many ways of using cacao,; you can make my guilt-free superfood filled chocolate bonbons or this delicious smoothie:
Beautifying Skinny Ass Choco Smoothie
Yields: 2 servings
Time: 5 minutes
Kitchen aid: blender
- 1 cup/250 ml cold water
- 0.5 cup/100 ml coconut milk
- 2 ounce/50 gram raw cacao nibs, or to taste
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds only, or 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 sliced bananas, frozen
- 2 tbs organic almond butter (amandelpasta)
- Optional: to make your smoothie higher protein, add one scoop vegan Sun Warrior brown rice protein powder (100 % bio-fermented raw sprouted whole brown rice).
- Put the bananas, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, coconut milk and cacao nibs in a blender and mix well untill mixture becomes smooth.
- Add water and mix.
- If the mixture is too solid, add more water or coconut milk if you like.
Serve with love.
Nutritional value per serving:
Kcal 246 Protein 4.5 Carbs 8.6 Fat 23.2 Fiber 4.2
Adding one scoop (21 gr) Sunwarrior protein powder will add 1 gr carbs, 16 gr protein and 70 calories.
Nutrition Facts Sunwarrior brown rice protein:
Copyright featured image: sincerealyyours.files.wordpress.com