It was a rainy afternoon and I was craving for a warm piece of cake. I had the option to buy it on the street, but as you know, I like to ‘eat clean’. As a total coincidence I had walked around with a delicious recipe in my head for clean fruit cake. I decided to give it a try that afternoon.
Like apple pie, but better
This fruit cake is just slightly different from regular apple pie or cake: it is totally clean, which means it doesn’t contain any processed sugar.
I used similar ingredients that are being used to make apple pie and cake. Therefore, my fruit cake tastes very much like regular apple pie and cake. I love apple pie and cake! If you like apple pie and cake as much as I do, this clean fruit cake is a great option for you as well.
About the ingredients
A table full of clean, natural ingredients.
I made the dough for the fruit cake out of .. sweet potato! Sounds crazy, but I’ve heard a lot of good stories about it. I don’t actually have much experience myself using sweet potato for the dough, though 🙂 Normally I use flour and beans, but I ran out of my beans. So why not try something else?
It turned out very well, so I’m definitely going to use sweet potato again to bake pies, cakes and muffins.
My clean fruit cake turned out very well!
Here’s the recipe for 10 to 12 slices:
- 100 gram/0.8 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 big sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 5 tablespoons apple puree
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 apple
- 8 dried apricots
- blackberries (as much as you desire)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 big tablespoons seed mix (of choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cookie spices
- Wash the sweet potato and boil him until he gets soft.
- Put the sweet potato in a mixer with 2 tablespoons apple puree and make everything to a
- smooth puree.
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Cut the dried apricots and apple into small pieces.
- Put the flour, bananas, eggs, apricots, the smooth apple and sweet potato puree,1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cookie spices in a big bowl and mix it with a fork.
- Add also the blackberries and put the dough in a cake dish.
- Mix in another bowl the other cinnamon, cookie spices, palm Sugar, raisins, apple puree, 1/2
- seed mix and the apple pieces.
- Put this apple mix in the middle of the dough horizontal.
- Top the dough with the other seeds.
- Now you can put the cake dish in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick, if a toothpick inserted comes out clean, your cake is ready!
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Slice and serve as is, or with toppings of choice! Put the remaining slices in the freezer, so
- you can enjoy the cake for a longer time, handy for a quick breakfast or lunch or just as a