My green wheatgrass juice is full of healthy ingredients and powerful beautifying nutrients that are linked to detoxifying abilities, which treat skin problems such as acne and psoriasis and slow down skin aging. Drinking a green wheatgrass detox juice is therefore the way many models start their day.
What exactly is wheatgrass?
Probably quite new to most of us, but because of its great health benefits, wheatgrass has become very popular lately, especially among models. True story! Wheatgrass is, as the name suggests, a grass; a young grass in the wheat family, that contains no gluten. Wheatgrass is therefore safe for coeliac patients and gluten sensitives.
Nutrients in wheatgrass
So what’s inside this little green grass? Wheatgrass contains chlorophyll (remember from your biology lessons at high school?) and the minerals potassium, calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium and trace element iron, vitamins A, the B complex, C, E and folic acid.
Wheatgrass is furthermore rich in fiber, enzymes, amino acids and phytonutrients; powerful antioxidants that work to promote overall health. It is relatively high in protein, of which it contains more than broccoli and spinach, which are known for its high protein content.
Benefits of wheatgrass
Due the powerful nutrients found in wheatgrass, wheatgrass is linked* to the following health and beauty benefits:
- boosts the immune system
- limits free radical oxidation
- slows down the aging process
- clears the skin by cleansing the blood and detoxifying the liver
- increases energy levels
- balances blood sugar levels
- treats bad breath
- firms up and tightens gums
- can restore firtility
- reduces allergic reactions
- stimulates the thyroid gland (correcting obesity and indigestion)
- combats anemia
- balances blood PH to normal levels
- lowers blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways throughout the body
- increases red blood-cell count
- stimulates metabolism
- strengthens the heart muscle
- contains Super-Oxide Dismutase (SOD), which is found in all body cells and is known for its ability to decrease the effect of radiation and slows down cellular ageing.
- would fight tumors
Use the highest quality wheatgrass
Buy your organic (very important!) wheatgrass from i.e. organic brand Pine’s. This brand freeze-dries its wheatgrass, after the grass had the opportunity to grow for 200 days out in the open, soaking up the sun and developing enough extremely healthy chlorophyl and other nutrients. Although I like the freshness home grown herbs, it seems like tray grown, short-lived wheatgrass contains less chlorophyl.
Ready to try? Here’s the recipe!
- 7 teaspoons wheatgrass (freeze-dried)
- 5.3 oz fresh spinach leafs (150 grams)
- 1 thumbtip ginger root, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 0.5 Hass avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 1 apple
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 59 oz water (1750 ml, recommended to filter)
- Put the 'dry' ingredients in the blender with a little bit of water and blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add the rest of the water and continue blending. Add more water if the mixture needs more liquid.
- Pour the juice into a jug while sieving the juice.
- Add more cinnamon and ginger if necessary (to taste).
- Kitchen aid: cutting board, knife, blender/juicer, sieve (if you're using a blender).
- Use organic ingredients.
- A sweet apple will make your smoothie sweeter than a sour apple, but it is up to you what kind of apple to use.
- Add more water if you desire a more liquid substance.
Use a slow juicer!
Psst! Using a slow juicer is an easier and more beneficial way of making juices, preserving the nutrients in your food! Pick your juicer here.
According to reviews that I’ve read in my search for a high quality slow juicer, I came to the conclusion that the Hurom Slow Juicer is your best pick. Prefer a Dutch webshop? Vitaminstore has a really great slow juicer as well: the VERSAPERS.
—- edit —
In the end, I have chosen this all-in-one kitchen machine, which is cheap and versatile. The downside is that it contains a juicer, instead of a slow juicer, which has less ability to preserve nutrients.
* no scientific evidence has been found yet that there is a direct relationship between the consumption of wheatgrass and the above listed health and beauty benefits, nor has there been found scientific evidence that cleanses detox the liver.
Featured image: Squeeze Juice Café