Lees in het Nederlands
Okay. Sure. I know. It’s time for a new healthy and tasty recipe. This time I’m not sharing a raw, vegan blah blah cake recipe, but an ordinary salad recipe. Gluten Free. Mind you. Moreover, this salad recipe is healthy and delicious. Read on for the recipe that I made my boyfriend and me: quinoa salad with beets, goat cheese and pomegranate seeds. Yum!
Health benefits of quinoa
Quinoa is a food you just always need to have in your pantry, as with its nutty flavor, quinoa is beside very tasty, also very healthy. Quinoa is high in omega 3 fatty acids, a whole range of B vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Quinoa therefore helps, amongst others, in reducing the risk of diabetes, lowering cholesterol and the regulation of blood pressure.
Versatility of quinoa
Cooking quinoa is a piece of cake: it takes you less than 12 minutes. Quinoa can be perfectly used to replace rice, in your salad or to give your soup an extra ‘bite’. Model and guest blogger Emma used quinoa to stuff a pineapple. Also tasty and a piece of cake to make: this spicy quinoasalade with sea salt, figs and red fruit. I said it all: just always have a bag of quinoa in the house.
Are you convinced that you really need to vary with quinoa more often? Then try this delicious recipe for quinoa with beets, goat cheese and pomegranate seeds that I found here yesterday, adapted and made for my boyfriend and me:
You can eat the salad both warm as cold. It’s an easy recipe, especially if you buy pre-cooked and pre-cut beetroot (for the lazy ones).
Here’s the recipe for the quinoa beet salad:
- 4 medium beets, cooked and grated
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5.3 oz. goat cheese, crumbled (150 grams)
- bundle of fresh parsley, chopped
- 0.6 cups pomegranate seeds (100 grams, the easiest way is to buy these already removed from the pomegranate)
- Cook the quinoa with water and vegetable stock in 12 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Fry the onion and add beets, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar until the beetroot is heated.
- Turn the heat down and spoon in the quinoa, goat cheese, parsley and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve immediately.
- Do you prefer to eat the dish cold as a salad, then let the mixture cool for half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Bon Appetit!
- Tip: substitute the pomgranate seeds for 2 peeled and cubed oranges.
Question to you
On Facebook, I asked what kind of recipes you prefer to see at Great Body & Skin. Would you prefer seeing recipes such as healthy/ gluten-free/lactose-free cakes, muffins and bar recipes appear? Or do you prefer everyday healthy recipes like soups, salads and potato mashes? Leave your message on Facebook or in the comments below this recipe.
Have you made this recipe? Tag me on social media: