Have I ever told you that my favorite YOLO f00d is peanut butter? Eaten right out of the jar, with a drop of honey mixed in to it every few bites. Spoon after spoon after spoon.
Contrast-rich sweet and salty flavours come together, blend and melt in your mouth … truly sensational! Take it from me: this is haute cuisine, baby!
Lees in het Nederlands
As long as it has Peanut Butter in it …PB & honey spooned right out of a jar is not my only favorite food. I actually count everything that has peanut butter in it as my favorite dish. Like these Peanut Butter & Banana Bonbons and Peanut Butter Cupcakes in Wonderland that I made for my backyard birthday party (remember?).
I know, I know, spooning pb & honey from a jar is not very waist-line friendly (I can never stop after 1 bite). I found a solution for that though. You know I like to copy-cat recipes and healthify them, like I did with this Notella recipe. Do you feel it coming? You are brilliant: I indeed healthified my favorite YOLO-food and translated it into a Skinny Post Workout Peanut Butter Protein Shake that is even healthy enough to have for breakfast!
Skinny Post Workout Peanut Butter Protein Shake
That’s right: a skinnier version of my “peanut butter & honey right out of a jar” is a filling post-workout peanut butter protein shake. It has only 300 calories, a good amount of protein and a good amount (40%) of calcium (good for bone and dental health and may help resolve PMS complaints). If using vegan protein powder (I used this one), it is also … errr … right: vegan.
Ready for the recipe? Here you go:
- 1 banana, in chunks
- 3 scoops protein powder (SunWarrior for vegans)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the bananas, protein powder, almond milk, water, peanut butter, agave syrup, cinnamon and ice cubes in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add water if the consistency is too thick.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional: top with a few raw cocoa nibs.
- I use vegan SunWarrior Vanilla Protein Powder
Favorite peanut butters
As a true pb addict, I certainly have a few recommendations when it comes to peanut butter:
- Powdered Peanut Butter (perfect for smoothies & baked goods) – PB2 via Body&Fitshop
- Natural Peanut Paste Crunchy – Body&Fitshop
- Organic Creamy Peanut Butter (unsweetened & no salt) – 365 Every Day Value via Amazon
- Crunchy Unsalted Peanut Butter (from unblanched peanuts) – Trader Joe’s via Amazon
For special moments:
- Powdered Peanut Butter with premium chocolate (also great for smoothies & baked goods) – PB2 via Body&Fitshop
- Speculoos Crunchy Cookie Butter – Trader Joe’s via Amazon
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread – Maranatha Natural Foods via Amazon
Featured image: Flickr / Our Designed Life