Girls, don’t we love chocolate? Don’t we love anything that has chocolate in its name? Don’t we love chocolate pudding? Yes we do! Do we love sugar free? Check! Do we love gluten free? Check! Do we love dairy free? Raw foodism? Healthy? Clean? Check, check, check!
Psst: this raw chocolate pudding might lack a lot, but it contains lots of vitamins and minerals!
A few weeks ago, at a sleepover I met a girl who was just as much into healthy food as I am. Not only her personality was sweet: so was her little ‘gift’ she brought us, which was raw chocolate mousse for everyone. The intention was to have the raw chocolate mousse for breakfast, but with the knowledge of those cups of chocolate treats in the fridge just meters away, we found ourselves enjoying the mousse at 3 a.m. in the morning on the balcony, while the heat of the day before kept us warm. Heaven on earth!
Unfortunately I didn’t catch the recipe, all I remembered was that she made the mousse with avocado, raw cacao powder and avocado. I decided to experiment some and make raw chocolate pudding.
My raw chocolate pudding was surprisingly tasty: a strong chocolate flavor, combined with the soft texture and the cold temperature of the pudding. Oh – My –Goodness … such a delight!
All the ingredients I’ve used are all organic/certified and most of them were raw. I only wasn’t able to find the silken tofu raw. Silken tofu is a great texturizer though, so I decided to use it in my recipe. Here’s a list of the ingredients and a link for some of them to where you can get the best brands. Feel free to use a substitute brand!
- Raw unpasteurized Manuka honey (the only honey with proven medicinal powers from 20+ and up) or regular Manuka honey (not raw)
- Cinnamon (a very strong and cheap antioxidant)
- Raw almond butter (or get it here)
- Silken tofu*
Nutrients in raw chocolate pudding
As I cited before, there is more to these almost completely raw almond buttery chocolate pudding cups than just their glorious taste. This raw chocolate pudding is full of the following vitamins, minerals and trace elements:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
The health and beauty benefits of almost completely raw chocolate pudding
How do these nutrients keep you healthy and pretty? Here’s a list of what they do and what they are good for:
- Balance blood sugar level
- Aids in regulating glucose metabolism
- Prevents constipation
- Strong immune system
- Important for muscle contraction
- Muscle strengths
- Prevent muscle cramps
- Helpful in treating restless legs syndrome
- Bone health
- Thyroid health
- Alleviates PMS symptoms
- Healthy metabolism
- Helpful in treating anxiety and stress
- Treats infections
- Balances fluids in the body
- Anti-oxidant effect
- Healthy skin and eyes
- Regulates collagen
- Production of adrenal hormones, hydrochloric acids in the stomach and sex hormones
- Reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s desease
- Keeps the brain healthy and young
- Fetal development
- Red blood cell production
- Helpful in treating fatigue, insomnia and concentration disturbances
- Treats depression
Enough heavy talking, let’s go to the recipe!
- * 1 large, ripe banana
- * 1/2 C/200 g silken tofu
- * 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- * 1 1/2 C/75 g raw chocolate
- * 1 Hass avocado
- * 1/2 C/ 65 g natural smooth almond butter without salt added
- * Melt the chocolate au bain marie. Make sure the water does not reach its boiling point.
- * Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- * Poor the mixture into 5 plastic cups, close the top with foil and set to chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Optional: top with pistachio's and a little bit of honey.
* Non-fermented tofu contains phytates that may block mineral absorption. As long as you don’t eat non-fermented tofu multiple times a day on a daily base, there is no risk of blocking mineral absorption.
On the other hand, tofu is great for post menopausal women! Research suggests that incorporating more tofu into your diet will decrease your risk of developing post-menopausal breast cancer.