Yess! Yet another lovely recipe by my friend and supermodel Emma Haarsma! Emma eats clean and has been a vegetarian since she was little. The recipe she is sharing with us today is a vegetarian, clean (gluten free, wheat free, sugar free) Italian eggplant oven dish. Enjoy!
[dropcap]E[/dropcap]ggplant is delicious and healthy. The good thing about eggplants is that you can eat them in so many different ways and with whatever you like! Eggplant works with all kinds of dishes, varying from Italian to Asian dishes. I decide to create an Italian eggplant recipe, because the taste of Italian food is amazing!
Low Cal, Highly Nutritious
This recipe is not just an amazingly tasty recipe; it’s also very healthy, while eggplants have many health benefits. Eggplants contain lots of fiber, which can help you feel full. Besides, eggplants have heart-healthy benefits, as they limit cholesterol. Eggplants are furthermore high in bioflavonoids, which are known to control high blood pressure and relieve stress. Eggplants are low in calories with just 35 of them per cup.
Gluten Free and More …
In case the health benefits of eggplants haven’t convinced you yet: this easy recipe is also rich in healthy fats, but lack processed sugar, gluten and wheat.
As this recipe is easy, delicious and full of health benefits, I can’t think of a better (gluten free) Italian dinner! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 eggplant, big
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup parmesan (equals 50 grams; hard parmesan has a lactose content of 0-3.2%)
- 4 teaspoons red pesto
- 1 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 big hands mixed salad
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Wash the eggplant, cut the top off and cut into 4 long pieces.
- Pierce the slices with a fork or slash the slices in several places.
- Mix the pesto with the chopped garlic and oregano.
- Smear the pesto mix on the eggplant.
- Cover an baking sheet with parchment paper and place the eggplant slices on the sheet.
- Roast the eggplant in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes in slices.
- Put the eggplant slices in a greased oven dish with the tomato slices and top with the parmesan and pine nuts.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.
- After baking, top with the salad.
- Delicious to serve with rice, gluten free pasta or zucchini pasta.
Would you like to have this dish with gluten free pasta, without all the unhealthy additives? Check out Sam Mills gluten free lasagne pasta (also non-GMO and egg- and dairy free)!