I like to have my breakfast big and nutritious to break my nightly fast, give my metabolism a kick-start and enough energy for a rough, sweaty workout.
Buckwheat is certainly not a grain; it is a seed, coming from China and Mongolia. As you might know, seeds are higher in protein content than grains. Besides, buckwheat is gluten-free and full of slowly digestable carbohydrates. These carbs keep your blood sugar level stable and keep you full at least untill lunch and provide you with enough energy to have a kick-ass workout.
Together with the omega fats from the nuts, seeds and almond milk and the high values of vitamins and antioxidants in the berries, this breakfast is a great way to start your day in an extremely healthy and nutritious way, without having to be concerned about your waistline.
By the way, I’ve used almond milk instead of cow milk, because I prefer plant based milk and don’t react well to cow milk. Another option to replace the almond milk with, is rice- or (unsweetend) soy milk.
So here’s my recipe:
- 0.9 cup/25 gram organic flaked buckwheat
- 1 cup/235 ml almond milk
- 0.6 cup/15 grams (0.5 scoop) vanilla protein powder
- 1 egg white
- mix of (dried) berries, seeds and nuts (whatever you like)
- 3 drops stevia
- Bring the almond milk with the buckwheat flakes to boil.
- Add the egg, mix well and let cook for 10 more minutes.
- If the mixture becomes too thick: add water or almond milk.
- After turning off the heat, add protein powder and stevia.
- Leave to thicken for 5 minutes and serve topped with (dried) berry, seed & nut mix.
Enjoy your breakfast!
Nutritional value per serving, in grams (excluded step 5):
Kcal 206 Protein 24.2 Carbs 20.6 Fat 4.2 Fiber 2.9