[dropcap]Y[/dropcap]aaay, you have probably seen it on my Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, but I have finally managed to make perfect ice cream! It’s so sweet, so soft, so good; I even dare to serve it to my unhealthy friends without telling them that this is actually a healthy ice cream and that it contains banana, cashew nuts and avocado!
The trick is to freeze the ingredients (I used cashew nuts, Hass avocado and banana) in advance, remove them from the freezer, wait for an hour and then blend. This results in perrrfect smoothness (o God, definitely a must-try!!).
I tried making ice cream before, but all I got was a watery, granulated ice consistency. It was plain disgusting! I now understand this was because I started my recipe by blending the ingredients and froze them right after, instead of freezing the ingredients and then blend them. Removing my ice cream to be from the freezer every hour and stir it every hour – an advice I read a lot on the internet – did not make a difference.
Making the recipe right in the opposite order dìd make that difference though! So I guess I have found the perfect way to make home made ice cream without making use of an ice cream maker (I did use the blender of this food processor instead)!
What helps of course is using very creamy ingredients. I used banana for instance, which also gave my ice cream that sweetness I was looking for. I added avocado for creaminess as well. I very much like cashew nuts, so I added those to my recipe. Soaking the cashews will provide the end result with another extra creaminess. Besides, nuts are easier to digest when they have been soaked in water.
Here’s the quick & easy recipe for 3 servings of creamy, healthy, banana-cashew nut ice cream (with avocado as a secret ingredient):
- 1 Hass avocado (the black one, soft & ripe), cubed
- 60 grams cashew nuts, unsalted, overnight soaked, washed and drained
- 30 grams cashew nuts, unsalted, not soaked
- few extra cashew nuts to granish
- 2 banana's, ripe, in slices
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Combine the soaked nuts, banana and avocado in a plastic container and freeze for a few hours.
- Remover the container from the freezer an hour before you want to make the recipe the let the ingredients defrost and soften a bit.
- The next step is to combine these ingredients with the cinnamon in the blender and blend until the consistency is smooth.
- Add the unsoaked cashew nuts and slightly blend them in. You want these cashews to stay chunky!
- Scoop the ice cream in pretty bowls and garnish with a few cashew nuts.
- Serve right away.
- Substitute the cashew nuts in this recipe with any nut you like, e.g. almonds, pistachio's, macadamia's or peanuts.
How do you make your own (healthy) ice cream? Why did my ice cream get granulated the first time? Who wants to come have an ice cream with me soon?!