[dropcap]E[/dropcap]ating seasonal foods is the best choice for your health, wallet and taste buds. October is pumpkin season: besides Halloween symbols and a yummie, versatile vegetable, pumpkin is full of powerful nutrients that treat acne, slow down premature skin aging, restore water balance, aid in weight loss and even reduce your chances of developing certain types of cancer (National Cancer Institute).
Here’s a recipe for spicy pumpkin Halloween soup to comfort you on Halloween’s night and nourish your body during the darker autumn months.
Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Apples & Coriander
Spicy pumpkin apple & coriander soup makes you healthy, strong and beautiful by providing you with vitamins A, C, fiber, beta-caroteen and potassium.
Bon appetit and enjoy Halloween!
- 1,5 kg / 4.9 oz pumpkin (butter squash)
- 2 large, sweet apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (add more if desired)
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 tsp nutmeg (add more if desired)
- 1 1/2 liters / 1.6 qt low sodium vegetable stock (add more if desired, depends on how thick you want your soup)
- Bundle of fresh coriander, chopped (save a few leaves to garnish)
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Clean the pumpkin and potato and cut them in large chunks.
- Take a soup pan and saute the onion for 10 minutes in olive or coconut oil.
- Add the potato, pumpkin and garlic; bake for 5 more minutes and poor over the hot stock.
- Cook until the ingredients are soft, than puree into a nice and smooth consistency.
- Add the apple and coriander and leave to simmer until the apple is soft and tender.
- Serve and garnish with coriander leaves.