In this blog I share a shopping list with the 25 healthiest basic foods that you can find in most local supermarkets.
[dropcap]When[/dropcap] you travel al lot as a model it’s not always possible to get your hands on fancy superfoods or shop at organic stores. Neither is it possible when you live in a small town that has just one local supermarket that sells only the basics. Superfoods are furthermore not always allowed when living on a small budget.
Before you start shopping: if you have the option to buy organic food, go for it! If not, make sure you peel what can be peeled and wash what can be washed.
Healthy fats and protein
- Avocado (Hass)
- MSC certified salmon (choose canned salmon for convenience)
- Eggs (cage-free or free range)
- Leafy greens (spinach, rocket, kale etc.)
Healthy carbs & protein
- Sweet potato
- Oats (gluten-free, but may be processed in a factory where gluten containing products are processed. Check the packaging for info!)
- Whole grain rice (which is gluten free)
Tip >> Subscribe to my newsletter for more high protein foods!
Healthiest fruits & veggies
- Red fruit (cherries, cranberries, raspberries, blueberries etc.)
- Canned tomatoes (convenient and contain more lycopene than fresh tomatoes)
Powerful herbs & spices
- Cayenne pepper
- Tumeric (also known as curcuma)
- Ginger root
Q: What’s your favorite, conveniant supermarket health food?
(c) image: Cinnamon Vogue/Flickr CC