‘ Gevulde speculaas’ is a traditional Dutch cake, spiced with a.o. cinnamon, cloves, mace and ginger, filled with sweet, gooey, almond paste. Believe it or not: it’s 100% model-proof!
Lees in het Nederlands
[dropcap]I[/dropcap]t’s almost December 5th, which means Dutch families gather to celebrate the birthday of an old guy with a white beard, wearing a red dress: Saint Nicholas, a.k.a. Sinterklaas. The festive is dominated by munching on chocolate, candy and sweet pastries, such as ‘gevulde speculaas’.
Healthier version of ‘gevulde speculaas’
I find ‘gevulde speculaas’ extremely yummy. The downside is that the original ‘gevulde speculaas’ is quite unhealthy. I therefore made my own ‘ model version’ of ‘gevulde speculaas’, which is gluten free, lactose free and refined sugar free and contains many healthy ingredients like coconut oil, almond, almond milk, date, lime and egg white.
Here’s the recipe. I hope you’ll enjoy it! Have a nice Sinterklaas!
Gluten-free Sugarfree “Gevulde Speculaas”
Good for: 8 pieces
Ingredients for the cake:
- 250 gram almond flour
- 75 ml almond milk
- 60 grams of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of tartaric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic Celtic sea salt
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 100 grams of coconut oil
- 1 egg yolk
- handful of almonds for garnish
Ingredients for the almond paste filling:
- 250 grams Medjooldadels, pitted, soaked overnight and drained
- juice of 1/2 lime
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- few drops (vanilla) stevia
- 2 egg whites
- 200 grams almond flour
How to make it:
Preheat the oven to 175°C
For the almond paste filling:
– Combine the dates, egg white, lemon juice, stevia, vanilla and almond flour in a food processor and blend until the ingredients until smooth.
– Set aside.
For the cake layer:
– Combine the almond flour, honey, spices, salt, orange zest and coconut oil and knead.
– Add the tartaric acid at the last moment and knead again until you can form a firm ball with the douch. If dough is too dry, add some almond milk.
– Divide the ball into two pieces and press 1 ball into an even layer flat on the bottom of a non-stick baking pan/mold (about 20 cm diameter).
– Add layer of almond paste and press gently.
– Now cover the almond paste layer with the remaining cookie dough.
– Sprinkle almonds on top.
– Use a brush to give the top layer a glaze with egg yolk.
– Bake for 45 minutes.
– Take the ‘gevulde speculaas’ from the oven and let completely cool before removing it from the mold.
Shop the ingredients
Bob’s Red Mill White Rice Flour
Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal
Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
TerraSana almond meal
Jacob Hooy speculaas spices
Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract Certified Organic