A dessert inspired on the good old Snickers (a.k.a. Reeses) bar. I paleo-fied the recipe by using avocado’s, 100% cocoa, hazelnuts, coconut oil, honey and a pinch of mineral rich sea salt.
[dropcap]At[/dropcap] the time writing, it’s still 4 days until Christmas and I just ate the Christmas dessert (at 3 o’clock p.m.) that I’ll be having again at Christmas. That’s for making sure you guys have a healthy option for dessert to choose from next week! 🙂
About the recipe
Paleo-fying the recipe means that I have only used ingredients that are real foods, the way the can be found in nature. That way, this Snickers dessert contains no artificial ingredients and is full of minerals and vitamins.
- 1st layer
The dessert consists of three layers, just like the original Snickers bar: the 1st layer is made from hazelnut meal, which I find tastes the best with chocolate. Almond meal is a good second option, or make your own hazelnut/almond meal with a food processor.
The 1st layer furthermore consists of some organic coconut oil, honey and salt. I always use organic Cletic sea salt because it contains lots of minerals. Organic Himalayan sea salt is a good 2nd option; make sure you choose fine (sea) salt above all!
- 2nd layer
The 2nd layer consists of honey, coconut oil and a pinch of salt, which mimics the caramel layer. I added a few whole hazelnuts to this layer as well.
- 3rd layer
The 3rd (top) layer consists of Hass avocado, 100% cocoa and a little bit of honey.
Paleo Snickers (Christmas) Dessert consists of three layers: a nut base, a caramel layer and and a chocolate layer.
Use small glasses to serve
At the picture above I served the dessert in small glasses, about coffee cup size. That’s because the dessert is quite heavy, so you either save room for this dessert or use small dessert glasses like I did.
On to the recipe (it’s printable) … enjoy!
- 1 C hazelnut meal
- 1.5 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs honey
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 tbs blank hazelnuts
- 2 ripe, soft Hass avocado's
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1.5 tsp honey
- 2 tbs hazelnut meal
- 2 tbs chopped hazelnuts
- Heat the oil and honey in a sauce pan on low heat while stirring until the oil is melted and blends well with the honey. Don't let it cook!
- Add the salt and hazelnut meal and stir well.
- Divide into 4 glasses.
- Heat the honey and oil in a sauce pan on low heat while stirring it until the ingredients have blended well.
- Add salt and turn the heat down as soon as it starts to cook.
- Add the hazelnuts.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit until it slightly thickens.
- Divide the 'caramal' into the 4 glasses.
- Combine the avocado, cacao and honey in a food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide into the 4 glasses.
- Garnish with hazelnut meal and chopped hazelnuts.
Which candybar would you like to have dessertified and healthified?
Note: this article was published earlier on December 22, 2013. I re-published it after I made some edits to improve its quality.