Since I ever ate my first sweet potato (not to be confused with its brother the yam), I’m hooked on this wonderfully sweet and versatile vegetable, that is not only beneficial for my health, but also benefits my skin!
One of my favorite sweet potato recipes? Salty sweet potato ‘fries’. Definitely with lots of cinnamon.
Health and beauty benefits of sweet potato
[dropcap]S[/dropcap]weet potato is a root vegetable that is only distantly related to the white potato. Reasons to choose sweet potato over potato:
sweet potato contains
- more fiber than white potato;
- a whole lot more vitamin A than white potato;
- more vitamin C (beneficial for your immune system) than white potato;
- more calcium (beneficial for your bones) than white potato;
- manganese (beneficial for your metabolism), white potato doesn’t;
- a lot fewer calories than a white potato.
- Sweet potato: nightshade-free
Last but not least, sweet potato is not a nightshade vegetable, while a white potato is. Eliminating nightshades from the diet can help alleviate mental, physical and emotional complaints in certain segments of the population.
You do understand now that I very much like the sweet potato; not only because of its taste, but also because of its health and beauty benefits!
Sweet potato breakfast & chai muffins
How I incorporate sweet potato into my diet? Thanks to a tip by our guest blogger and model Emma, I regularly have it cooked and buttered with almond butter (Emma used peanut butter; use whatever nut butter you like!) for breakfast. Another option is to use sweet potato as an ingredient for